Can't install Database Publishing Wizard

Topics: Database Publishing Wizard
Dec 29, 2006 at 10:08 PM
I have Visual Web Developer Express and Sql Server 2005 Express and the .NET 2.0 Framework. So, I thought that this should allow me to install the Database Publishing Wizard 1.0 RC.

However, when I try to install the Database Publishing Wizard, it gives me this error:

"There is a problem with the Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

I have unistalled Sql Server Express and re-installed it and Visual Web Developer is working well and the 2.0 Frameworks is fine.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
charlie
Dec 30, 2006 at 12:58 AM
Hi Charlie

Can you run the following command from command prompt window and send the log file to the email address himanshu@microsoft.com?

"Database Publishing Wizard 1.0 RC.msi" /lvx* log.log

Thanks
Himanshu
Jan 2, 2007 at 2:23 AM
Thanks, I emailed you the log file...

charlie
Jan 3, 2007 at 12:30 PM
I am having exactly the same problem installing, the intallation terminates with the same error messagebox.

Installing on Visual Studio Professional on Windows Vista RTM

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Sumeet
Jan 3, 2007 at 5:06 PM
Hi Sumeet

Can you send the following information to me at himanshu@microsoft.com

1. Run the following command from command prompt and send me the log file. "Database Publishing Wizard 1.0 RC.msi" /lvx* log.log

2. What values are present under the registry Key
HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\Setup\VS? You can use regedit to view this information.

Thanks
Himanshu
Jan 4, 2007 at 2:11 PM
Thanks Himanshu,
Emailed the files to you.
Sumeet
Jan 7, 2007 at 9:15 AM
Hello,

Apparently my problem has to do with registry keys and visual studio. The temporary solution was to just not install the Option to integrate Database Publishing Wizard with Visual Studio.

Does anyone know how I can run the Database Publishing Wizard against a database located here:

C:\Documents and Settings\Charlie Stephens\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\Charlie\App_Data\ASPNETDB.mdf

Gracias,
charlie
Jan 8, 2007 at 6:00 PM
Hi Charlie

You need to use the following connection string in order to script out this database. This connection string attaches the mdf file to the local SqlExpress server as a User Instance. You may need to change the value of DataSource in this string if you don't have a SQL Server instance named SQLExpress installed on your box

DataSource=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename="C:\Documents and Settings\Charlie Stephens\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\Charlie\App_Data\ASPNETDB.mdf";Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True;Database=ASPNETDB

Sumeet:
We are looking at the information you have sent to us and will get back to you soon.

Thanks
Himanshu
Jan 8, 2007 at 9:28 PM
Thanks Himanshu.
Sumeet
Jan 8, 2007 at 11:39 PM
Thanks Himanshu,

That connection string works perfect after putting a space between "Data Source".

Unfortunately, on the last step of the Database Publishing Wizard I get an error saying essentially that the wizard cannot open the .mdf because it is being used by another process.

I right clicked on the database in VWD and clicked "Detach". I also added a file to the root of the virtual directory named App_offline.htm. I then closed VWD down completely and ran the Database Publishing Wizard.

From what I have read so far the actions above should have unlocked the .mdf file but it is still throwing that error.

Here is the full and exact error message that shows up on the last step of the Database publishing Wizard when trying to script this connection string:
Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename="C:\Documents and Settings\Charlie Stephens\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\Charlie\App_Data\ASPNETDB.mdf";Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True;Database=ASPNETDB

The error Message:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prefetch objects failed for Database 'C:\Documents and Setting\Charlie Stephens\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\Charlie\App_Data\ASPNETDB.mdf'.

Additional information:
Failed to retrieve data for this request (Microsoft.SqlServer.SmoEnum)
An exception occured while executing a Transact-SQl statement or batch.
(Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)
Unable to open the physical file "C:\Documents and Setting\Charlie Stephens\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\Charlie\App_Data\ASPNETDB.mdf" Operating system 32. "32(The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process)". (Microsoft SQL Server, Error 5120)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
charlie

Jan 11, 2007 at 1:46 AM
I also get the same problem: when installing the Database Publishing Wizard, I get the error:

"There is a problem with the Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

(I have VWD 2005 Express, SQLServer 2005 Express and SQLServer Managemnt Studio Express on Windows XP)

The registry key info for HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\Setup\VS is:

Default - REG_SZ - value not set
ProductDir - REG_SZ - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\
VS7CommonBinDir - REG_SZ - value not set
VS7CommonDir - REG_SZ - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\

Installing the Database Publishing Wizard without the Visual Studio Integration works ok, but then I don't know how to proceed using the wizard without the VS integration - can you please advise?

Cheers,

Richard
Jan 11, 2007 at 7:04 AM
Hi Richard -

We are releasing the RTM version of DPW next week which should fix this problem.

In the interim, you can run DPW from the Start menu by going to Start -> Programs -> Microsoft SQL Server Database Publishing Wizard -> Database Publishing Wizard. If you want to try something more daring :), you could also remove the ProductDir key that you listed above, install DPW, and then recreate the key.

Thanks,
alex
Jan 12, 2007 at 9:03 AM
Hi,
I finally managed to install RC1 on Vista.
The solution was deceptively simple and I am surprised it took me so long to get to it.
The steps I followed:
1. Disable all virus protection
2. Open an adminstrator command prompt (http://blogs.msdn.com/uac/archive/2006/08/01/685645.aspx)
3. Navigate to the directory where the the downloaded MSI sits.
4. Launch the installer like so - msiexec /i "Database Publishing Wizard RC1.msi"

Intalls with no hassles at all.
I was inspired to try this method by this post: http://blogs.msdn.com/ukvsts/archive/2007/01/11/installing-the-tfs-power-toys-on-vista.aspx which listed the solution for the same problem being faced when attempting to install the TFS Power Toys on Vista (Thanks Neil).
Hope this helps.
Sumeet
Jan 15, 2007 at 1:38 AM
Thanks Alex,

Removing the ProductDir key, installing DPW, and then recreating the key worked fine!

Cheers,
Richard