Feature request: Let user select data to publish

Topics: Database Publishing Wizard
Feb 2, 2008 at 3:27 AM
Dear all,

Current version of this tool can only publish all data of all tables. I wish it can let me select data satisfying specific conditions from specific tables. For example:

1. Assume there are 3 tables: A, B, C. I can publish data in table A and B, but not in C
2. I can only publish first 50 records in table A, or the data satisfying another condition
3. If possible, the configuration can be save in a file, and it can be read by this tool (Both the GUI and command line interface) the next time

BTW, I'm not familiar with CodePlex and I don't find a formal way to submit my request, so I post it here. I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

Regards,
George
Feb 5, 2008 at 9:47 PM
The version I'm using (1.1, the latest I believe, although I'm not sure where that's written) implies that I can select both tables and stored procedure.. there are check boxes and all that stuff. But in practice it seems to want to squirt the whole lot into the SQL file. From your post that sounds like a feature... are you saying it's known that it behaves this way and I'm supposed to edit the .SQL file by hand to extract the bits I need?

Just checking; it's not obvious that these things don't work is all...
Feb 26, 2008 at 4:11 AM

philw wrote:
The version I'm using (1.1, the latest I believe, although I'm not sure where that's written) implies that I can select both tables and stored procedure.. there are check boxes and all that stuff. But in practice it seems to want to squirt the whole lot into the SQL file. From your post that sounds like a feature... are you saying it's known that it behaves this way and I'm supposed to edit the .SQL file by hand to extract the bits I need?

Just checking; it's not obvious that these things don't work is all...

Are you sure there are checkboxes which let me select which tables or stored procedures to publish? I downloaded the latest version from Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=56E5B1C5-BF17-42E0-A410-371A838E570A), but I could not find these checkboxes you mentioned.

Regards,
George
Feb 26, 2008 at 4:11 AM
Edited Feb 28, 2008 at 12:31 AM
I checked again, yes, there are checkboxes to choose tables, stored procedures or views to publish if you run it in GUI mode. But it doesn't meet my requirements: I want to select what data to publish.

Regards,
George