Extra Command Line Parameters

Topics: Database Publishing Wizard
Jan 28, 2008 at 6:01 AM
Hello,

Here are a few suggestions for switches. I make these suggestions because I just exported my entire work DB, and the SQL file was over 200MB, no tool can open a file that big. Plus, if you are publishing that to a web service, it would definately timeout.

-SeparateFile
This would create a separate script for each object, then create import.bat which would use "sqlcmd" to import everything.

-ScriptSeparate
This would scrpit table definitions and data out to separate files, say:
SCHEMA/dbo.tbltempSCHEMA.sql
DATA/dbo.tbltempDATA
import.bat

-ScriptObjectOnly
Allow you to specify a single object out, say a table, sproc, or udf

-ScriptObjectWithData
Same as above, except with the data too

Regards,
Feb 28, 2008 at 1:47 AM

cstepaniuk wrote:
Hello,

Here are a few suggestions for switches. I make these suggestions because I just exported my entire work DB, and the SQL file was over 200MB, no tool can open a file that big. Plus, if you are publishing that to a web service, it would definately timeout.

-SeparateFile
This would create a separate script for each object, then create import.bat which would use "sqlcmd" to import everything.

-ScriptSeparate
This would scrpit table definitions and data out to separate files, say:
SCHEMA/dbo.tbltempSCHEMA.sql
DATA/dbo.tbltempDATA
import.bat

-ScriptObjectOnly
Allow you to specify a single object out, say a table, sproc, or udf

-ScriptObjectWithData
Same as above, except with the data too

Regards,

I would say, if you use this tool to dump the whole database which has too much data, you'd better backup/restore it, or detach/attach it. This tool suites an initial database (without/with a little production data) better.
On the other hand, it would be better if this tool can provide more features or switches what you want.

Regards,
George
Feb 28, 2008 at 9:56 PM
I agree ;-) I see this utilty as an developer utility for setup test-DBs for e.g. unit-testing etc.
A more important feature should be a consistent scripting order (in order to see what really changed if committing changes to e.g. SVN)...