How to To transfer SQL server Express to web hosting Provider

Topics: Database Publishing Wizard
Oct 20, 2006 at 5:08 AM
Hello,

FYI, I'm using Visual Studio 2005 with SQL server Ex Edition in my developer PC. So the problem now is how i can migrate the database into my web hostin provider??. The provider also use the same version of SQl server. What i noticed the express editon dont have function to import or export.

Anybody iin here know how to solve? Right now, i'm create the databse using my controll panel (plesk) in my web hosting then i create tables using management studio express, this way i must do twice works, 1st in my developer PC then into my web hosting..please anybody give a hand please

I already copy web site include the app_data into my web hosting, but unfortunately i dont know the connections strings???? when i ask the provider they told me to use the management studio for the databse for connection into their server.

i also noticed if i install the application which use sql server dataabse it can be install the database including the tables and the data, so how is it i want to make my web site including the database be like installer. Like CommunityServer Forum? i just install into web hosting..is it possible?? How the way??

note:(I'm Newbie in VS and SQL Server) I already install DPW, but i do not know how to use it? i try the step in the thread "This could be a miracle for Newbs like me" post by alexd but i stuck at step when executing the script. It tell me 'the connection string does not contain a database name'.
The connection string i had copy is :

sqlpubwiz script -C "Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=D:\WebSites\stickers\App_Data\online.mdf;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True" output.sql

If the script success what shoul i do next? can you tell me Thank you.

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:50 PM
Hi emasstech -

The tool that we are building should help you migrate your database to your hoster, so you have come to the right place.

You will need to provide the name to the database in the connection string in order to publish it to T-SQL... try:

sqlpubwiz script -C "Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=D:\WebSites\stickers\App_Data\online.mdf;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True;Database=Online" output.sql

Once the command is completed, open the output.sql file in Notepad. Then, go to your control panel and go to the script execution window (not sure what it is called for Plesk). In that window, paste the entire contents of the Notepad window and execute it. When that is completed, the contents of your MDF should be published to your shared hosting provider.

I am unfamiliar with CommunityServer installs, so I can't help you out there. Anyway, let us know if you have any problems.

Thanks,
alex
Oct 21, 2006 at 5:10 AM
Thank you for the reply, i got problems when i want to execute it. The error is:

"The connection string does not have a database name"

Can you tell me what's the problem?

Thank you again
Oct 21, 2006 at 6:45 PM
Did you add ;Database=Online" into the connection string you get out of Visual Web Developer, e.g.

"Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;
AttachDbFilename=D:\WebSites\stickers\App_Data\online.mdf;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True;Database=Online"

Thanks,
alex