This could be a miracle for Newbs like me

Topics: Database Publishing Wizard
Oct 18, 2006 at 7:05 PM
Hiya

I have hopes that this publishing tool will make ASP.NET worth pursuing again.

I am one of the ( thousands? ) of web site creators that took up the Free offer by
Microsoft to download and use Visual Web Developer 2005 Express edition.

I’ve spent the last six months purchasing textbooks, watching the videos and working
through tutorials for this fantastic production suite.
I’ve been extremely happy with the power and speed VWD affords me and before long
I put together a data-driven inventory application that performs flawlessly . . .
. . . here on my PC.

The difficulty I think the bulk of us ( thousands?) are facing is that with no SQL experience whatsoever, any hope of getting the fine work produced by VWD functioning
on a host server is nill.

I’ve been putting up web sites for 9 years using HTML.
I have 11 years experience with MS Access so I know what a database is.
I have 11 years experience with PhotoShop which is worthless for this conversation. Sorry.

What has me on the brink of Violently Discarding ASP.NET and avoiding any future
Visual studio product is that, it seems I now need to spend the next six months learning
To turn my PC into an SQL database server and learn what diagrams, pipes, instances and T-Sql scripts are, just to get 7 or 8 pages of .aspx uploaded and running properly.
This is not something anyone would expect even after fully examining all of the available
Material connected to this page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vwd/default.aspx

“An ideal environment for new Web developers” – It certainly is!
( so long as when you upload it to a host company, you’re also an SQL Database Administrator.
Until I received my first “Server application ERROR /” page and went digging into the web.config file, I’d never heard the term connection string.)

I know I’m not the only VWD user that’s hit this brick wall.
After all, it is a fine development suite, it works locally and it’s FREE.

And I hope your Publishing Wizard will be able to recognize the existence of tables in
Visual Web Developer’s App_Data folder, and have plenty of documentation for .NET newbs like me. I’m more than willing to do what it takes to make my site work. I just need documentation and an understandable tool that picks up where VWD dropped me.

Thanks Much,
Anim5
Oct 18, 2006 at 8:25 PM
Hi Anim5 -

I'm sorry to hear about your previous experiences, but glad to hear that you are giving our tool a shot.

To generate T-SQL script for your SQL Server Express database from within Visual Web Developer, try the following steps:

1) From within Visual Web Developer, navigate to the Database Explorer. (View -> Database Explorer)
2) Select the database from within the Database Explorer that you want to publish to your shared hoster.
3) Right click on that database, then select Properties.
4) Within the Properties pane for that database, copy the Connection String to the clipboard.
5) Start the Database Publishing Wizard (Start -> Microsoft SQL Server Database Publishing Wizard -> Database Publishing Wizard)
6) Execute the following command, substituting the connection_string parameter with the value from the clipboard. Note that the quotes are required.

sqlpubwiz script -C "connection_string" output.sql

BTW, to paste in a command window right-click on the window and select Paste.

7) The resulting output.sql file can be executed in a query window that your hoster provides.

Let us know if you have any problems.

Thanks,
alex
Oct 18, 2006 at 10:16 PM
One more thing...

You might need to add a clause to specify the database within the connection string to script and also quote the MDF filename as needed, such as:

sqlpubwiz script -C "DataSource=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=\"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\ClubWebSite1\App_Data\Club.mdf\";Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True;Database=ClubDB" clubdb.sql

Thanks,
alex

Oct 18, 2006 at 11:27 PM
Great tool !!! I am trying to understand more clearly the advantages of using sqlpubwiz script -C "connection_string" vs sqlpubwiz script -S -U -P -d . Besides the obvious of a connectin string, why use the conenction string method than just authenticating
Oct 19, 2006 at 12:36 AM
The connection string option is useful when you have a SQL Server Express database that is configured as a User Instance (which is the default for the Visual Web Developer). If you have a regular SQL Server database, then the connection string is just another option you can employ.

For more information on User Instances, check out http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnsse/html/sseoverview.asp?frame=true#sseover_topic11

Thanks,
alex
Oct 23, 2006 at 3:16 AM
As a user of SQL 2005, I appreciate having the full SQL Server Management Studio available. It makes administering SQL easier.

Try this:

SQL Server Management Studio Express

Available from here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/download/