My Aching Computer

Topics: Database Publishing Wizard
Oct 18, 2006 at 3:03 PM
I tried to use the program on a production box to bring down for testing. Ouch. CPU utilization constantly in the 90's, working set size grew to 940MB and virtual size was 1.1GB. After 5min of CPU time, I killed the process.
Oct 18, 2006 at 5:17 PM
sfrigard,

Thanks for the post. We should be making some significant improvements in performance for the next CTP.

In the meantime, would you mind sharing how big the database was?
Oct 21, 2006 at 2:33 AM
Hopefully I can contribute to this post...we have 48,000 databases of varying sizes in a hosted environment that run on 48 production servers...This looks like a very handy tool that we may put to very good use as sometimes we need to "clone" a database back to our developers for support to duplicate issues that they may have.
Oct 23, 2006 at 1:32 AM
I had the same problem. My database is 306 MB, yet memory usage was well over 900 MB before I killed it.

Please consider warning the user before using more than, say, 100MB to 200MB of RAM. EG. "Warning, this database is large...". Or confine the memory usage and abort if it gets too big.

Oct 23, 2006 at 4:37 AM
As Ibra mentioned, we have identified several areas for improving the memory usage problems, so keep a lookout for our next release next month. Hopefully we won't need any warning messages... :)