Error 40 - Could not open a connection

Topics: Database Publishing Wizard
Oct 17, 2006 at 10:48 PM
Greetings!

I've tried your tool on two separate machines, one running XP Pro, the other one Vista RC2, both with SQL Server Express 2005, and i get a Named Pipes Provider error. Thing is, I have named pipes enabled in the SQLServer configuration.

The only service I have running is SQL Server, not the Browser. Think this is what's causing the problem??
Oct 17, 2006 at 10:51 PM
forgot to paste the error message...

Error: An error has occurred while connecting to the database: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
Oct 17, 2006 at 11:01 PM
FIXED!

Looks like it wasn't recognizing my default instance for some reason. I added the switch -S MACHINENAME\SQLEXPRESS and it worked like a charm :)

Thanks for making this amazing tool!! It's just what I've been looking for, and can't wait to see it develop further.

Cheers!

Mariano
Mexico City
Oct 17, 2006 at 11:18 PM
Hey Mariano. Thanks for trying out the tool and coming to the forum w/ your issue.

Your Express instance isn't actually installed as a the default instance, so you'll always have to refer to it with the "\SQLEXPRESS".

Definitely let us know if you have any feedback on the tool.

Thanks,
Dan