Hosted SQL Server Users - We'd like to hear from you!

Topics: Using SQL Server in Hosted Environments
Oct 14, 2006 at 8:09 PM
If you use SQL Server in a hosted environment (a web hoster, for instance), we'd like to hear about your experiences, both good and bad.

What are your pain points today? What can we put in this toolkit that will make things easier for you?

Thanks,
Dan Winn
Senior Program Manager
SQL Server, Microsoft
Oct 29, 2006 at 1:11 PM

hi Dan,

I posted some of my pain points in a blog reply elsewhere on this project site but let me re-iterate here for clarity.

The problem is mostly related to backup and restore. Frankly SQL server is not suitable for folks who to not have access to a local SQL server install that supports migration of data. The fact that SQL server as-is does not have a freely available tool that creates a backup image on a remote host is, well, strange. If MS wants wider adoption of SQL server it needs to look closer at MySQL and available free tools like SQLyog. They make it trivial to dump an SQL description of the entire database or a subset to your local machine.

I think that your project is exactly the thing MS should be doing.

Maybe there is some useful functionality provided by the web manager offered by my hoster but it's broken and I didn't get them to fix it yet.

Oh, I understand the temptation within MS is great to push for SQL 2005 but the reality is that many (most?) hosts still use 2000 and perhaps 7. Please please support those versions as much as possible.

Thanks for your hard work and I look forward to trying out new versions.
Oct 29, 2006 at 1:12 PM
Sorry I meant to sign with my name but there is no 'edit' button. So here it is :)

Sander
Nov 30, 2006 at 11:34 AM
Hi,

I must agree, the biggest problem is backup and restore a MSSQL-Database. My hoster make backups every night. But as a user you have no access. Using the SQL Management Studio does not help in making backups, since I can only make local backups on the server. I have no rights to do this.

So getting a backup from my own database is not possible. I have a Community Server 2.1 installation so there are rather many tables and data to backup.

And last but not least, the SQL-Server is still version 8! And so I can use your tool to upload a new database, but not to download them.

Hope, this helps.
Michael